[Seaside] home page intro results in a big "huh?"

Nick Ager nick.ager at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 05:56:45 UTC 2010

Hi Lawson

> Create your first component
>
> Name: MyFirstComponent <Create>
>

> clicking on the create button displays a page with the following. which is
> almost certainly intimidating to a new user (at keast it would be to me and
> I can't find anything associated with the startup page that explains what
> I'm seeing):
>
> Seaside Walkback
>
> MessageNotUnderstood: WAComponent class>>subclass:instanceVariableNames:

Are you running on Squeak? If so  the error is caused by a difference
between Pharo and Squeak.  A fix for the WAWelcome package is available in
http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside30, so you use Monticello to
update WAWelcome or change the following line in WAWelcomeComponentCreator>>
createComponent: componentName

from:
    userComponent := WAComponent subclass: componentName
instanceVariableNames: ''.

to:
    userComponent := WAComponent subclass: componentName
instanceVariableNames: '' classVariableNames: '' poolDictionaries: ''
category: 'Unclassified'.

see also:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2010-July/023906.html

Cheers