[Seaside] KomHttpServer to serve Seaside on port 8888 and

Tim Murray tmurray at ecsorl.com
Mon Aug 16 15:54:54 UTC 2010

Thanks for the reply.

My employer provides courseware and we are providing a Learning
Management System in Seaside.

We have pre-existing courseware/content (not Seaside)  that I would like
to present via I-Frames in a Seaside Component.

I have proof-of-concept components doing this, however the content is on
a separate server running apache.

I just wrote a Seaside component that uses the WAFileUpload compent and
I wrote a ZipComponent that takes a

Zipped up piece of  our content , uploads it to our WAFileLibrary
directory and unzips it there.

Now, I am writing a component for telling our Learning Mangement System
where this content is what it's start page is and

I will store this in a database, and provide a link to students for them
to click on to view the content.

I similar concept exists in the PHP LMS named Ilias
http://www.ilias.de/docu/

We run Seaside on port 8888

Standard html is on port 80

>From my Croquet/Seaside 4.x image, I have Seaside running via:

WAListenerAdaptor startOn: 8888.

And I just started listening on port 80 at the same time via:

| ma |

ma := ModuleAssembly core.

ma serverRoot: FileDirectory default fullName.

ma documentRoot: FileDirectory default fullName.

ma directoryIndex: 'index.html index.htm'.

ma serveFiles.

(HttpService startOn: 80 named: 'httpd') plug: ma rootModule

I am now serving both ports from 1 image.

To me, this seems "a better way" as I can now manage content all from
one Croquet/Squeak/Seaside directory , but being new to
Seaside/Smalltalk, I don't know if I am doing something really stupid (:

Also, thinking ahead...if "somebody" wants to build a SCORM compliant
LMS where you just upload a zip file, the LMS reads the manifest in the
zip file and voila-it just works, this "may" be the approach to go. Its
basically, Seaside acting as a host for non-Seaside web-apps.

Thx,

t.