[Seaside] SeasideTesting and WebTester w/ Selenium

Bart Gauquie bart.gauquie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 10:49:44 UTC 2010

WebTester opens a browser by sending a http request to Selenium Remote
Control (http://seleniumhq.org/projects/remote-control/). And then this
remote control starts the browser. Selenium Remote Control is a java process
you have to start before starting the selenium tests in Smalltalk.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM, C. David Shaffer <cdshaffer at acm.org>wrote:

>  On 08/25/10 02:22, Johan Brichau wrote:
> > I am currently also using both SeasideTesting and WebTester for testing
> our Seaside application. The first one for 'raw' component testing and the
> second one for in-browser behaviour testing.
> > Given that SeasideTesting will rely on FFI for external browser testing
> and that WebTester uses sockets for that, my impression is that WebTester
> will have no problem to get to work in Gemstone. I am therefore pondering on
> how to proceed with the port of the external browser testing in
> SeasideTesting. I have the impression it makes more sense to combine
> SeasideTesting and WebTester for this.
>
> SeasideTesting only needs a way to raise the browser on a URL.  After
> that, all communication is done via HTTP.  So FFI is needed, but only if
> that's how you open an external web browser from Squeak/Pharo.  How does
> WebTester open the initial web browser window...if it doesn't need FFI
> then I suggest using the same mechanism with the SeasideTesting port.
>
> David

imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -
Albert Einstein
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing
is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. - Albert
Einstein
- Sir Winston Churchill
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's
required. - Sir Winston Churchill