[Seaside] Does anyone offer Seaside hosting yet?

Davorin Rusevljan davorin.rusevljan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 21:20:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Andy Burnett
<andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com> wrote:
> I am curious to know two things:
>
> How big a 'slice' does your site require?  The various cloud hosting
> services offer slices of different sizes and I suddenly realised that I had
> no idea what is reasonable for a Seaside image. I know it must vary based on
> load etc,. so I am curious to know what yours needs - just as a practical
> example

on amazon, you get to choose between few standard instance types:
small, large, extra large .. etc. I am using small instance since my
requirements are small. List of available instance types can be found
here:

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

> What is an EBS image?

Well, it is something that you would expect to have, but at the
beginning of ec2 you did not have :) . In the beginnigs of ec2 your
disks were not actually persistent, when you restarted the machine,
the changes to the disk were lost, and the state of the machine would
be reverted to the state as configured in ami. So if you would for
instance add user to your running machine, it would be gone once you
restarted the machine. You could mount EBS (elastic block storage)
device to your machine and data stored on it would persist, so that
was a place where one could store changing important data. But the
machine would itself always boot from the partition that was fried
inside ami, into the state you have save once while you created the
ami. So you had to make various rain dance rituals to make sure that
your changing data is actually placed on ebs volume.

Now available ebs based images, do what you would expect them to do,
your main boot partition is persistent and you can count that changes
to it are going to survive restart of the machine.

I hope that my explanation was at least semi clear :)

Taking yet another tangent, one thing related to ec2 that would be
very interesting to have sometime in the future is seaside integration
with  amazon's elastic load balancer.

rush
http://www.cloud208.com/