[Seaside] Re: pier help

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Tue Aug 31 23:11:01 UTC 2010

laurent laffont wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to understand how Pier works, especially rendering content.

Here's the rough understanding that I have.

- the content is held in instances of PRStructure subclasses
- PRPage is the most important subclass, with regard to wiki content
- the wiki syntax that a user submits, is parsed into real objects (i.e.
a parse tree), and these parse tree objects are from the PRDocumentItem
- each PRPage holds the parse tree for a page of content
- if you inspect/explore the class variable named "instances" of the
PRKernel class, you will see the content/pages/parse-trees

- to display content, the parse tree is traversed by an appropriate
subclass of PRVisitor
- in the case of displaying content via Seaside, the important class to
look at is PRViewRenderer. This visitor traverses the page/document
parse tree, and during the traversal, invokes Seaside rendering code
which results in the appropriate HTML being emitted.

Hope that helps to get you started.