[Seaside] [ANN] AJP adatpor for Seaside

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:00:06 UTC 2010

Hi

The AJP adatpor is a server adatpor dedicated to connecting Seaside to
Apache. You can't use it without Apache because it doesn't understand
HTTP. Instead it uses the binary AJPv13 protocol which is more
efficient and simpler to parse. The result is a lightweight adatpor
without any external dependencies but Grease/Seaside. In the multipart
parser special attention has been paid to avoid unnecessary copy
operations. Streaming however is currently not supported.

I've been using this adaptor for development over the last several
months and have been able to get very good performance and
reliability. If you want to do your own benchmarking there are some
static request handlers in AJP-Tests-Core. They avoid
sessions/continuations/backtracking, you want to benchmark the
adatpor, not Seaside. One thing to note is that I recommend turning
keep-alive on, it makes a performance difference.

The setup is described in the Seaside book [1], it's the same as
setting up HTTP proxying but the protocol is ajp instead of http. I
should note that there's a similar project for Comanche [2].

 [1] http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-apache/mod-proxy-ajp
 [2] http://www.squeaksource.com/KomAjpServer

Cheers
Philippe