[Seaside] Hello World via WinXP

Overcomer Man overcomer.man at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 10:25:39 UTC 2010

I finally have my Wamp which includes Apache working again.  Now for the
hello world help request.

I tried hooking up a plain "one click" Seaside to Apache using the book's
http://book.seaside.st/book advanced topics / deployment / deployment with
Apache / Configuring Apache and Serving files with Apache.  After failing
with copies of the Virtual Host blocks and various combinations thereof such
as:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    # set server name
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ServerName www.wantdesk.com
    # rewrite incoming requests
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://localhost:8080/seaside/$1 [proxy,last]
</VirtualHost>

I decided it was time to ask for assistance again.  Last time the assistance
was not specific plus I had a problem with my Apache server being down.  Now
it's fine but the book addresses Linux servers using Apache and not Windows
servers using Apache.  Seems like an omission considering earlier treatment
of both OS's.

The book is also unspecific on things like:
"The setting ProxyPreserveHost enables Seaside to figure out the server name
automatically, but this setting is not available for older versions of
Apache. In this case you have to change the Seaside preference ‘server name’
for all your applications manually."
Missing is what Apache releases work or what is the last one that fails?
And how to do the manual stuff?  Just a few ideas for the book & tutorial
writers.

What I need is simple yet detailed instructions to get a one-click Seaside
to do a hello world display of something like the regular 8080 screen under
WindowsXP & Apache.  Thank you.

Kirk Fraser