[Seaside] Hello World via WinXP

Overcomer Man overcomer.man at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 14:15:03 UTC 2010

>> What I need is simple yet detailed instructions to get a one-click
Seaside
>> to do a hello world display of something like the regular 8080 screen
under
>> WindowsXP & Apache.  Thank you.

> Sorry, I can help here. I don't have Windows.

I hope someone with the needed knowledge will respond soon.

> What about running an Debian or Ubuntu server (or even Knoppix server
> that you can start from a CD) within a virtual machine to give the
> existing step by step instructions a try? I suspect that if you walked
> through the setup on Linux, it will be easy to adapt the steps to
> Windows.

The computer I use for a server is an old Dell which comes with a
proprietery version of Win XP.  It cannot run Ubuntu, I tried both starting
from a CD and installing Ubuntu.  I don't know why it didn't work but my
impression after was Ubuntu isn't a real operating system but merely a skin
that requires key parts of Windows to run.  The proprietary fixes by Dell
have saved me from the many Blue Screens of Death (BSD's) received on
another old computer I was running Ubuntu on but downgraded to WinVista to
support legacy code a contractor insisted on developing in VBasic which
won't be supported via Wine Mono according to a developer.

To address the obvious question, why don't I switch computers - the Dell has
been upgraded with lots of disk space to support an online application that
I hope to rewrite in Seaside http://wantdesk.com and because of the Dell's
peculiarities I don't know how to switch drives.  So I'm waiting for some
help on getting Seaside to work on Win XP with Wamp server which uses a cut
down version of Apache.  If that help never comes, I'll have to skip my
Seaside dreams and rewrite my application in PHP and MySQL which comes with
Wamp (the Linux version is Lamp).

Hey, you guys could go the rest of the way and supply the one-click version
set up to go fully online instead of just to localhost:8080.