[Seaside] Hello World via WinXP

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 14:21:01 UTC 2010

>> What about running an Debian or Ubuntu server (or even Knoppix server
>> that you can start from a CD) within a virtual machine to give the
>> existing step by step instructions a try? I suspect that if you walked
>> through the setup on Linux, it will be easy to adapt the steps to
>> Windows.
> The computer I use for a server is an old Dell which comes with a
> proprietery version of Win XP.  It cannot run Ubuntu, I tried both starting
> from a CD and installing Ubuntu.  I don't know why it didn't work but my
> impression after was Ubuntu isn't a real operating system but merely a skin
> that requires key parts of Windows to run.  The proprietary fixes by Dell
> have saved me from the many Blue Screens of Death (BSD's) received on
> another old computer I was running Ubuntu on but downgraded to WinVista to
> support legacy code a contractor insisted on developing in VBasic which
> won't be supported via Wine Mono according to a developer.
> To address the obvious question, why don't I switch computers - the Dell has
> been upgraded with lots of disk space to support an online application that
> I hope to rewrite in Seaside http://wantdesk.com and because of the Dell's
> peculiarities I don't know how to switch drives.  So I'm waiting for some
> help on getting Seaside to work on Win XP with Wamp server which uses a cut
> down version of Apache.  If that help never comes, I'll have to skip my
> Seaside dreams and rewrite my application in PHP and MySQL which comes with
> Wamp (the Linux version is Lamp).

There is no excuse needed to use Windows. I just cannot help.

> Hey, you guys could go the rest of the way and supply the one-click version
> set up to go fully online instead of just to localhost:8080.

What do you mean by going fully online? Running on port 80?

The simplest solution is to let the one-click image do everything by
itself. Then you don't need apache. Evaluate

    WAKom startOn: 80

and your one-click image will listen on port 80. On Unix systems you
need to be root to be able to listen on ports below 1024, I don't know
if this is the same on Windows. Also make sure to stop any running
Apache instances that might occupy port 80 beforehand.