[Seaside] Re: Where's the Squeak one-click experience?

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 19:06:26 UTC 2010

>>> The Squeak Smalltalk link now points to:
>>> http://www.squeak.org/
>>
>> I agree that this is not ideal.
>
> It's no different from the links to GST or VAST.

Imagine a newbie: He goes to www.seaside.st and clicks on his favorite
platform. Surprisingly he is brought back to the main website of his
platform. The next logical step would be to assume that Seaside comes
with the default distribution. So he downloads it and finds Seaside
included with GST and VASt, but not in Squeak. Now, the newbie is lost
and probably gives up.

>> To me is not clear if the latest Seaside runs on Squeak at all?
>
> Sure does. With Dale's latest fix you can just load the Metacello config.
> Yesterday we also upgraded source.squeak.org using an older version of
> Seaside on a current image and it works just as fine.

The newbie is definitely lost.

>> And we don't have a name of somebody
>> that is committed to maintaining the port and taking responsibility
>> for this platform, so I will remove the link until this clears up ...
>
> As I've said earlier, I'm on the Seaside-dev list specifically to hear about
> issues that come up regarding Squeak. If that doesn't count as commitment,
> please let me know what does. At this point Seaside is fully functional and
> fully supported on Squeak.

That's perfect, thank's for letting us know.

Maybe you could additional put a link on www.squeak.org that explains
how to get started? If necessary, we can discuss further actions in
the thread on the dev-list.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli