[Seaside] On Forms, PNGs, WAFiles, and ByteArrays

Robert Sirois watchlala at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 11 00:21:24 UTC 2010

I wrote a simple form to upload images to the server, and I would like to create thumbnails for them automatically.

The way I ended up doing it is as follows:

saveEntry
    | aForm newForm |

    " add original file under name blahblahPng or whatever the image type is "
    UGFileLibrary addFileNamed: title,'Png' contents: uploadedFile contents.

    aForm := (PNGReadWriter createAFormFrom: uploadedFile contents) first.

    " create thumbnail and save under name blahblahThumbPng "
    newForm := aForm scaledToSize: (Point x: 50 y: 50).

    " what I would have liked to do here is add the thumbnail to the file library "

    " add item to art section "
    UGArt addImage: (
        (UGArtItem
            title: title path: title,'Png') artist: self session user; imageForm: aForm; thumbForm: newForm; yourself
    ).

As you can see, I ended up using WAImageTag #form: rather than a url from the file library (or server directory, preferably). So what I would like to know are two things:

1) Forms are big? So throwing them around is cumbersome?
2) Is there a way to convert a Form back to a PNG without the whole mime thing?

Thanks!
RS