[Seaside] problem to understand the render: method from book.seaside.st

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 13:58:36 UTC 2010

2010/1/19 Vincent Dautremont <vdautrem at ulb.ac.be>:
> Hi,
> I'm new here, am following the book (http://book.seaside.st)
> and have a question about rendering components and getting the answer back from them.
>
> - In section 11.5 (http://book.seaside.st/book/components/calling/answer)
> the "answer:" method after a "call:" method is clear for me.
>
> The result of (self call: view) is the object return by the answer: method.

Correct.

> - In section 11.9 (http://book.seaside.st/book/components/calling/show-answer) I've also understood that the same goes with the unblocking method "show:" that create inline html code of the component.

Partly correct. You shouldn't use #show: or #call: for that matter
during rendering, only in callbacks.

> - What I don't understand is how to get the answer back if I call my component with the render: method.
> In section 12.2 (http://book.seaside.st/book/components/embedding/example)
> the component is now embeded using the render: method and the note and the end of the page refer to section 11.5 to get the answer back from the cancel/save  button.
> I don't understand that because (html render: editor) doesn't answer true nor false when I press the save or cancel button.

Render doesn't answer anything because the result of rendering is
markup to display. Only when the user actually does something,
something can be answered. What you probably want is a task and #call:
the component.

Cheers
Philippe