[Seaside] External events?

John Chludzinski john.chludzinski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:42:36 UTC 2010

If I receive an external message (not a request from a browser) thru a
socket telling me that all the presentation apps that share a particular
Comet pusher need to advance to the next slide.  How should this best be
done?

My solution:  I saved a reference to one of the presentation apps and send
it the message #nextPage (from a Workspace window).  This failed (got a
walkback) in JSObject>>render:on: at

      document := JSDocument on: aStream codec: self requestContext codec.

Since 'codec' is never used in JSDocument I changed the line above to:

      document := JSDocument on: aStream codec: #useless.

This works BUT is it a reasonable approach?  Or is there a canonical
solution to the problem of external events?*
*

---John