[Seaside] Improved Help Suggestion

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 07:06:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Overcomer Man <overcomer.man at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seaside looks a lot more attractive to me than Wamp for writing webpages in
> but I seem to need a little more tutorial reading to start being
> productive.  Is there a tutorial that explains
> http://localhost:8080/seaside and why clicking configure on that page points
> to port 80 instead of port 8080?  What examples are legitimate to put in
> Server Path, Server Hostname, Resource Base Url and why?

Hi Kirk,

First of all, welcome.

Now, what are you trying to do? In most cases, you would not need to
set any of those fields during development.

I think you'll find you got no response to your first email because
nobody understood the problem you were having; I know I didn't - I
don't know what Wamp is, and you seemed to be talking about firewalls
and routers and hackers and I'm afraid I got a bit lost. We can't
possibly know how your router or firewall are configured.

People on the list are very helpful but the cardinal rule of free
support is to make it as easy as possible for people to help you. You
need to do the work to figure out what Seaside is generating and how
that is different from what you would like it to be; if you can
explain that, I'm sure someone will be able to give you a hand.

Cheers,

Julian