[Seaside] [Seaside-dev] Seaside components

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Wed Jan 27 14:59:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Maximiliano Taborda <mtaborda at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am thinking of using seaside to develop a web based application, but I
> really do not know how seaside can satisfy my needs.
> I read the book at the seaside site and all is well with the development in
> the seaside-way.
>
> Although, I have the following questions:
> I would have components like a grid and graphs in my application. Is this
> possible?

You could write components that create grids and graphs.
If you can do it in html/javascript, you can write a component in seaside to
create a
reusable component to do the same.

> I see that seaside includes Scriptaculous and jQuery, so could I
> use something like this: http://trirand.com/blog/jqgrid/jqgrid.html? This component
> (or any other like this) exists or, if not, how difficult is to build it?

There are none included w/ Seaside itself although someone might have
written something like that. I'm not aware of it though.
The difficulty isnt that great, you are taking the html and javascript that
would be used and write code that given a certain set
of inputs would create the appropriate output. Its basically the same as how
it would be in any other language/framework except that seaside components
are
stateful so in some ways, once you know what you are doing, its easier.

> Another example. Searching the web I found this thing called ZK:
> http://www.zkoss.org/zkdemo/userguide/. There are at seaside grids,
> graphics and windows as shown in this demo?

I don't understand this last question. If you are asking if seaside has
built in componenets similiar to that then the answer is no.

My general statement would be, yes all of this is possible, the learning
curve might be a little high for someone starting out with Seaside.