[Seaside] Confused about WASession cleanup

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Wed Jun 9 17:10:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am confused about how WASession instances get cleaned up. This class's documentation says: If the session has not been used for #defaultTimeoutSeconds, it is garbage collected by the system. Which defaults to 600 seconds or 10 minutes if I am correct.

No matter what I do, the number of cached sessions doesn't seem to come down. Not after days, never. I see this in all my images on different platforms/vms.

To make this repeatable, I tried the following:

Take the Seaside One-Click Experience 3.0a5, load ADayAtTheBeach-svc.2.mcz from http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach. This will install a couple of small demos, including a Seaside implementation of my DW-Bench benchmark.

Next, hit it using the Apache benchmark tool, like ab -n 64 -c 4 -d http://127.0.0.1:8080/DW-Bench

Have a look at Status/Image and note the number of sessions.

Hit it again and note how the number of sessions increases.

Wait 10 minutes, force a garbage collect using Status/GC.

The number of sessions does not come down.

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way ?

Thx,

Sven

PS: My final goal is to pose some questions about load, performance and tuning, but I want to start by understanding this aspect first.