[Metacello] Re: [Seaside] New structure for Seaside30, Magritte2, and Pier2 Metacello configurations

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Mon Jun 28 18:25:26 UTC 2010

Mariano,

Yes that's what I was thinking. I plan on updating the Seaside config
and workspace ... but I wanted to make sure I wasn't headed off in some
wild direction first:)

I think that the minimum is to have a deployment group that loads just
what is needed ...

Development becomes a stickier issue, because it isn't always clear what
should be included ... I think that with Metacello, one can be very
explicit about what pieces one wants to load...it would be nice to have
a minimal development group that adds just what is needed to do
development (i.e., trying to debug a sticky production problem you'd
like to load only what you need and getting examples and a bunch of
other stuff isn't something you'd want to load into a production
environment ... ).

I think that one can leverage groups in Metacello which means that in an
application one can afford to use _more_ mcz files...providing fine
granularity on what can be loaded (even down to the level of a class per
mcz file for things like independent components)...I wouldn't think that
everything should be reduced to that fine of a granularity...but there
are advantages to breaking things up into smaller loadable chunks...

Dale