[Seaside] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 12:04:13 UTC 2010

Hi smalltalkers. I have been asked to be the admin of GSoC 2010. The backup
or second admin is Janko Mivšek. As you may know, Squeak has participated in
GSoC 2007, 2008 but failed (not accepted) in 2009. We are not sure if we
will succeed this year but we will try to do as much as possible.

We think that one of the most important reasons why we failed in 2009 is
that Google was looking for bigger communities that Squeak. This is why this
year we all go under the ESUG umbrella. We present ESUG as the mentor
organization and we cover ALL open-source Smalltalk dialects, not only
Squeak. Pharo, Smalltalk/X, GNU Smalltalk, Cuis..they are all invited to
participate. Also cross platform projects like Seaside, AidaWeb, Magma, etc
are welcome.

<forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>
It is a Google program that support (money) students to work on different
open-source projects. Google doesn't talk or manage directly to the students
but trough "Mentoring Organisations". Those organizations have to apply to
GSoC. They have to give a lot of information, included a list of
ideas/projects. Each project has a description and a mentor. Then the
students apply for each project. If the organization gets selected by Google
they will tell you how many "slots" they give. Suppose they give 5 but we
have 20 projects....then we vote and the most voted projects win. The
student has to do the project and the mentor has to help and guide him. The
mentor receives 500 USD and the student 4500USD.
For more information read: http://code.google.com/soc/
</forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>

The most important thing is the deadlines we have. We started late so we are
very near to the first deadline which is 12/03/2010 (less than one week).
For that deadline we need to submit all the information of the mentor
organization (answering several questions) and give the list of
ideas/projects and the mentors of that.

We have created a webpage (Thanks Janko!!) where we will put all the
information. We will make this page public soon (we still need to review a
couple of things).
But for the moment we would REALLY appreciate if tell us your ideas. To do
this, just answer to this email. Then we will collect the information and
put in the website. For each idea you need:  a short title and a paragraph
(for the moment) explaining the idea.
After, we need that the people that are willing to be mentors start to apply
as mentors...please, consider yourself being mentor. Sometimes it is not
that difficult. I mean, don't be shy as sometimes being helpful, being aware
of the dates, answering emails, etc is more important than the Smalltalk
knoweldege. We can have a lot of ideas, but we need also mentors for that.
We even would need a "substitute" for each mentor...

Just as an example you can see the ideas of the previous years:
2007: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5936
2008: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6031
2009: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6120

That's all for the moment.