[Seaside] Re: [Pharo-project] [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Mar 6 13:22:27 UTC 2010

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>     4) Build a continuous integration server using Seaside, Iliad or
>     AidaWeb.  Build an interface to version control systems (possibly
>     supporting both independent systems such as Monticello or
>     file-based such as svn/CVS/git) that can be used from Smalltalk
>     and integrate it with Smalllint code reports.  For a more
>     ambitious project, the server should be able to start a new image,
>     upgrade the package, run SUnit tests there and communicate back
>     the results---the time to upgrade the package should be minimized
>     of course!
>

> Are you aware of this two projects ? I don't know other dialects but
> in Pharo they work:
>
> - http://n4.nabble.com/Interim-build-server-td1296834.html#a1296834
> -
> http://n4.nabble.com/ANN-Hudson-continuous-integration-server-support-td1296910.html#a1296910
>

>     5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and
>     implement it in at least two dialects.  Candidates include Alien
>     and GNU Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the
>     advantage of having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!).
>      Bonus points for implementing a C parser that would be able to
>     construct bindings.  GNU Smalltalk already contains a C
>     preprocessor implementation.
>

> Yes!!! And make it (optionally at least) not to block the complete VM
> while a function is being called.
>
> Cheers
On the Mac version, having the power of Squeak combined with the power
of F-Script would totally rule. Does the CObject FFI allow you to do
what F_script does and examine the entire object tree written in Cocoa?
That would at least for Macs, give you a full blown GUI external to the
Squeak desktop.

Lawson