[Seaside] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

stan shepherd stan.shepherd414 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:08:58 UTC 2010

I know the deadline approaches, however- how does the community feel
about a project to implement a real demonstration system (along the
lines of defunct Sushi store)? Presumably in Seaside, but whichever
framework the community/mentor/student decided on. With a nice
interface using (again presumptively) jQueryUI to give a pleasant
end-user experience. Similarly implementing a persistence solution.
The idea is to present potential newcomers to Smalltalk with a viable
stack that could be picked up as is, to give a starting point for
developing web applications. Potentially they could simply make a
hosted copy, on the same server.

The idea would be that on the various examples page, you could access
an e-commerce site running a Smalltalk technology stack. Ideally
really selling something Smalltalk related, (proceeds to eg ESUG),
maybe also an Amazon affiliate page . If you liked it, you could copy
the whole project, change eg your Paypal details, change your
products, and be in business. (Obviously there are real world
considerations - this is the concept). And coders looking for examples
would see code that was fully completed, not onClick: (... some alert
saying you clicked but no real example of how to handle it, eg how to
transfer the order line details to the payments server).

I think it would do wonders for the take-up of Smalltalk.

If people like the idea in general, I'm happy to write up the brief. I
don't think i'm the right person for the mentor, but you know who you
are ;)

For the student, they would get experience in implementing the
application itself , as well as assembling the stack. They could be
the next Auctomatic founders.

Do people think it's useful for me to develop a proposal?

Cheers,   ..Stan

PS I realise that picking a component as part of the stack is fraught
with possibilities of offending supporters of an alternative project.
But more Smalltalkers overall means more potential users of each
project