[Seaside] What alternative for fileUpload with WAFile for large files?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Mar 24 18:27:07 UTC 2010

Ah, it shouldn't run out of memory.

Wikiserver for the iPhone uses an older version of Pier and I and to make a few changes (which were fed back to the Pier folks) to ensure
it could stream up/down 50MB files on a device within a 10 MB free memory footprint.

However the support isn't quite turned on or accessible by default.
You have to do

WAKomEncoded default streamUploads: true.

which then alters a decision to use

WATemporaryFile
versus
WAFile

The original email for this is below, but the implementation that was done by the Pier team is different.

Ok in order to get streaming to work, so that I could upload and see a 58MB TIFF image on a remote browser from the iphone wikiserver but use no more than 30MB of memory I had do the following:
Well turn it on:  WAKom default streamUploads: true.

MAFileUploadComponet>>upload: aFile

"First this did  contents: aFile contents which won't work with 800MB files,
"Alter to execute a method that takes the aFile"

	self value: (aFile isNil ifFalse: [
		self description kind new
			mimetype: aFile contentType;
			filename: aFile fileName;
			contentsFromWATemporaryFilePRoxy: aFile;
			yourself ])

The helper methods then do contentsFromWATemporaryFilePRoxy

MAExternalFileModel>>contentsFromWATemporaryFilePRoxy: file
	| writeStream readStream |

	writeStream := self writeStream.
	readStream := file stream.
	filesize := readStream size.
	[FileDirectory default copyFile: readStream toFile:  writeStream] ensure:
		[readStream close.
		writeStream close]

MAFileModel>>contentsFromWATemporaryFilePRoxy: file
	self contents: file contents

The next issue was the data coming back and in urlOn: it would super to MAFileModel which would do
urlOn: html
	^ html context
		urlForDocument: self contents
		mimeType: self mimetype
		fileName: self filename

"Again self contents"

I altered the subclass then to do:

MAExternalFileModel>>urlOn: html

	^ self baseUrl isNil
		ifTrue: [html context
		urlForDocument: self
		mimeType: self mimetype
		fileName: self filename]
		ifFalse: [ self baseUrl , '/' , (self location reduce: [ :a :b | a , '/' , b ]) , '/' , self filename ]

Lastly we need to keep the logic from creating a mime document and caching the contents, rather
we need to create a localfilemimedocment by doing

MAExernalFileModel>>asMIMEDocumentType: mimeType
	^self readStream asMIMEDocumentType: mimeType