[Seaside] Re: Many VM push using Comet?

John Toohey johnptoohey at gmail.com
Tue May 4 12:50:46 UTC 2010

I have a similar requirement and use STOMP to route messages via
ActiveMQ to my servers. Any server that is interested in receiving
event notifications from any other server, registers a callback via a
named Topic. I only notify change events, and do not push data around.
Servers registered for these events do a cache lookup, or in some
case, grab the referenced data from Postgres.

I have 16 servers, two Pharo VMs, a number of Scala/Java servers, and
two Erlang servers all running in this configuration. The actual data
for the event notification is in JSON format.

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 07:21, Richard Durr <richard.durr at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> "Maybe you could partition user sessions depnding on the group, so all users from one group would end up on one VM."
>
> I thought about that too, since Avi does this with DabbleDB (though
> not with comet afaik). The question is how to do this. I read about a
> demonstration programmed for Gemstone where they just put all sessions
> into the DB. I thought of letting initial requests be handled by any
> vm; as soon as a user logs in, his WASession gets stored into a
> MagmaDB, and he is forwarded with a group-id to the vm he belongs to.
> There, his session is retrieved from Magma and installed in this vm.
> Would that be even possible?
>

> Regarding RabbitMQ, I took alook: Very interessting! Seems like Tony
> Garnock-Jones already implemented a client.

-JT