[Seaside] Understanding encodings in Seaside 3.0

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed May 26 04:54:31 UTC 2010

2010/5/26 John Pierce <john at pierce.name>:
> My Configuration:
>
> 1. Mac running Squeak VM 4.2.2b1
> 2. Using Pharo 1.0 image
> 3. Installed Seaside 3.0a5 from seaside.st builder script
> 4. Using Comanche HTTP server
>
> Background:
>
> I am trying to write a SeaKEdtior (pronounced CKEditor) class that
> extends WAFileLibrary. Instead of embedding all the numerous
> JavaScript, CSS, and otherwise files from CKEditor.com, I just want to
> unzip them in my image's default directory and serve them directly
> from Squeak using Seaside's file handler and my custom SeaKEditor
> class that streams content from the file system.

If you're serving files from the file system what I would recommend is
reading the files in #binary mode and putting the response in #binary
mode as well when writing to it.

If you don't do that you need to read the file using the right
encoding. Seaside will then convert it to the output encoding.

You're right there a bug in Seaside preventing utf-16 to work [1].

 [1] http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=569

Cheers
Philippe