[Seaside] Hosting Seaside

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Oct 1 21:16:44 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Sean" == Sean P DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com> writes:

Sean> I'm on a shared host, and want to convert my PHP site to Seaside.
Sean> When I start the VM, the server kills the process, and my provider
Sean> emailed me that Seaside was starting an "exclusive process" that
Sean> was using too many system resources.

I'm betting that they have cpu limits on a single process (both rates
and longevity), and since a Squeak VM is a single Unix process
(Smalltalk "Processes" are green threads), it probably hits those limits
fairly quick.  They're probably counting on more of an Apache model,
where each hit goes to a separate Unix process, which they can
distribute amongst more real processors.

You'll probably need to explain to them how the VM works so they don't
freak out.  If they do, time to find another host.