[Seaside] An on-line programmable CMS

Reza Razavi razavi at acm.org
Sun Oct 17 13:55:00 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I would like to bring to your attention the availability of an
on-line programmable content management system at:
<http://www.afacms.com/>http://www.afacms.com/.

It is implemented by a home-made software platform that reuses and
extends Seaside and Pier CMS. For more information, please check the
following post (also copied below for your convenience):
<http://www.afacms.com/blog/pontoon-app>http://www.afacms.com/blog/pontoon-app

I would like to take this opportunity to thank You, and all Smalltalk
communities for their outstanding contributions that have made this
work possible.
Best regards,
Reza Razavi

The goal of this website is to illustrate the concept of on-line
programmable CMS, i.e., a web application that behaves both as a
content management and an on-line programming system. This web site
is a distribution of [1]. It's by no means a production site. It
actually runs on a VPS with quite limited resources.

New functionality may be implemented and integrated on-line by
composing atomic services (in the sense of SOA). The site provides
Seaside jQuery-based graphical interfaces for service composition
[2]. For a step-by-step on-line programming guide, please check [3].
For any further inquiries, please contact me.

Atomic services may be of different kinds:
- Interactive web components, like Seaside components,
- Pure computational components, like mathematical algorithms,
- Sensing components, like measurement requests in industrial metrology,
- Actuation components, like robot commands in manufacturing, and,
last but not least,
- Control flow components, like iterations and conditionals.

Websites like this one describe their atomic services as "contracts",
and makes them available on-line [4]. To illustrate the applicability
of this concept to diverse domains, this website proposes a variety
of (rather simple) atomic services, which relate to areas such as
on-line shopping (for the Seaside sushi example) [5], communication
[6], e-learning for students [7], e-teaching for Older Adults [8],
and entertainment [9]. Flow control constructions are also
represented explicitly as contracts [10], and may be defined
according to the application requirements. Other kinds of atomic
services may also be added, even dynamically, depending on the
application requirements.

Domain concepts that end-users care about and their instances may
also be managed on-line, via a sort of on-line class and instance
browser [11].

In real-life deployments, the above-mentioned on-line programming
tools that are made here publicly available may be only made
accessible to qualified end-users.

This web site is an example of pontoon application as I presented at
IWST'2010 [12]. It's implemented by reusing and extending Seaside and
Pier CMS, as also presented in an IWST'2010 paper, which will shortly
be available via [13] and also the ACM DL [14]. In the meanwhile, I
can provide a copy to interested parties upon request.

Application domains may be diverse [15]. We are currently
investigating opportunities for very large scale deployments related
to the concept of web as a service innovation platform.