[Seaside] abstract component with authentication check?

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Sun Oct 31 15:01:06 UTC 2010

Ivo,

If you want to check on every request, I guess this is because you have both freely accessible and restricted components in your application _and_ you only want to ask for authentication the first time the user accesses a restricted component? However, doing this check during the rendering of the component will not allow you to pass control to a login component in the same way as #call: passes control. Moreover, #call: can indeed only be sent in a callback, not in the rendering code.

If you want to prohibit the display of restricted components in the rendering phase, then I think custom visual decorators are indeed the only option. But if some components are embedded inside others, the login component will simply display in their spot of the webpage. That might not always be desirable.
Making custom request filters is an intriguing option to look at but I have no idea if the session is available in filters and if you can redirect to a login component from there. I'm also not sure if they are intended to be customized.

Now if your application does not need both authorized and non-authorized components, you do not need to check at every request. The way seaside works is that every request that pertains to a single seaside session will use the same session object. If you ask the user to login on the first request (when the session object is created), you are sure that the session is authenticated for all later requests. In my opinion, the best way to achieve this is by defining a task and using that task as the main class of your application (i.e. the entry point). The task will call the login component until the user is authenticated.

Johan