[Seaside] [VAST] Character Encodings in JQAjax>>#serializeForm

Joachim Tuchel lists at objektfabrik.de
Fri Sep 17 12:20:36 UTC 2010

  Hi,

I have a problem with Seaside on VAST that I guess is pretty
VAST-specific. It is related to Character-Encodings/Charsets and jQuery
Callbacks. VAST is not (yet) a full utf-8 platform, so we use
iso-8859-15 as charset for form data. All is fine with normal callbacks
and stuff, we can move Euro-signs and Umlauts back and forth between
server and browser without any problem.

Unfortunately, when it comes to JQAjax>>#serializeForm, it seems the
jQuery stuff encodes our special characters to utf-8. I can see that
Firebug sends two characters for every Umlaut up to the server.

So I need a way to tell the machinery below serializeForm to treat form
data as iso-8859-15.

I have tweaked WAScriptGenerator>>#writeScriptTag:on: in order to set
the charset of Javascripts to 8859-15, but to no avail, because this
only indicates the script is encoded in that charset.
Also, (html jQuery ajax scriptCharset: 'iso-8859-15') serializeForm does
not do the trick.

So I'd be grateful for any pointers to how to make serializeForm treat
my form data as something else than utf-8.

Thanks for reading

Joachim