[Seaside] Reading Apache environment variables in Seaside

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 05:26:33 UTC 2011

2011/4/7 Charlie Meyer <cemeyer2 at illinois.edu>:
> All,
>
> I am working on developing a Seaside application which I eventually plan to
> deploy behind our university's custom authentication system. This mechanism
> sets a particular Apache environment variable equal to the username that was
> authenticated. I have read through all of the Seaside book and looked
> through the classes, but have not come to an answer on how I can read out
> environment variables from the request, especially when served behind
> Apache. I currently serve other applications using different frameworks via
> AJP behind Apache and the necessary variables are passed through, so I am
> hoping there is a way to get access to them in Seaside. Any guidance would
> be fantastic.

Well since you're already using AJP why not keep using AJP [1]? It
should read the environment variables. There's one gotcha though, it
doesn't pass them to Seaside yet. They could be put on the request or
request context though.

 [1] http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-apache/mod-proxy-ajp

Cheers
Philippe