[Seaside] Should I become a Seasider?

Marten Feldtmann itlists at schrievkrom.de
Sat Apr 9 07:22:34 UTC 2011

Hey,

entering another company (with development temas) with Seaside-only
knowledge gives you no win - other than personal confidence, that you
have investigated other technologies. They will expect, that you know
THEIR technology and not the other way around.

Entering as external solution provider into a company is a different
thing. Actually technology should not be any topic there in tose project
discussions (but perhaps you have to use/interact with other technology)
and you are free to use Seaside. But you are - in most of the cases -
not selling Seaside. You must sell solutions.

Even though you may hope, that you will be cheaper than others - I would
not be so sure about it.  We have seen customers here in Germany, who
would like to have a german company - but prices should be on a level on
eastern European countries. More or less impossible to do. And all those
companies out there using php or other stuff - THEY can use thousands of
already available libraries, for all of the most common tasks.

Therefore if you are facing projects with common tasks - how will you
beat those php programmers ???? If you are in projects with
not-so-common needs, you get more chances to have good prices.

And - as Sebastian answered - Seaside is a small component of WWW
development. You MUST know Javascript, you MUST know CSS - especially
superb knowledge of CSS may put your technical solution into an
nice-looking solution.

Then also consider environment technolgies like Apache to support your
solution

Marten