[Seaside] speed of VM vs. speed of database

Sebastian Sastre sebastian at flowingconcept.com
Sat Dec 3 20:12:28 UTC 2011

hey sergio,

if objects and tables with relations where truly comparable, objet-relational-impedance-mismatch [1] would not exist.

In the other hand if you use a BTree of objects indexed in the way you need, your speed will have no match in the RDBMS world.

Proper use of Gemstone, omnibase or even a modest index persisted in the image (a facade to a BTree or something like that) will satisfy quite high expectations.

Have in mind that, for performance, the only metric that really counts is the user experience.

Maximize anything else and you'll be heading to a non human centered artifact, faster.

BTW, this could be off topic but in the economy there is an anti-pattern familiar to this when you see companies maximizing profit instead of wealth creation.

for more I highly recommend this video:

Re-thinking IT by John Seddon
http://vimeo.com/19122939

sebastian