[Seaside] View PDF in browser

bobn at rogers.com bobn at rogers.com
Mon Dec 19 19:10:18 UTC 2011

In trying to answer my own question, I followed the path used to answer content from WAFileLibary.
I added an override for #handle: and checked for an 'options' key. If found, a new PDF document is created and answered.

The document is created correctly, but still is not rendered in the browser. I thought I had paralleled the answer sequence correctly.

WAFileLibrary >> handle:
aRequestContext respond: [ :response |
response
cacheFor: self cacheDuration;
document: (self documentForFile: fileName)
mimeType: (self mimetypeForFile: fileName) ]

vs.

TSwaFileLibrary >> handleReport: aRequestContext
aRequestContext respond: [ :response |
response
document: byteArray
mimeType: (self class mimetypeFor: 'PDF') ]

Uploading a PDF file to the WAFileLibrary subclass and using...
http://localhost:48199/files/TSwaFileLibrary/TestSimpleReport.pdf

...opens the PDF document in the browser, but using my parameter suffixed version...
http://localhost:48199/files/TSwaFileLibrary/Report.pdf?options=assigned|id|system|title&filter=assigned:Bob_N.|status:open

...triggers a file download on the generated PDF file.

What is different? Both versions write a PDF content byte array to a response with the same mime type.
Is there something else in the response sequence that I need to deal with?

Bob