[Seaside] Clear/stop a periodic javascript process using Seaside?

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 14:18:45 UTC 2011

Thanks Johan.

I hadn't considered using an external javascript file.  In your example
js file I'd have to call unregisterInterval() to clear the interval.  If
I created multiple intervals on the same page, would the correct one get
cleared without passing unregisterInterval the correct value for
updateId?  My knowledge of JS is less than Smalltalk.

I think I can figure out how to store the updateId using the
jQuery.data() function on the DOM element that is updating then send the
clearInterval with the result of the calculation and have it get the
updateId from the DOM element.

I think it'd be something like this:

function registerAndSetInterval(aLambda, ms, anElement){
	var updateId;
	updateId := setInterval(aLambda, ms);
	$.data(anElement, "intervalId", updateId);
}

funtion unregisterInterval(anElement){
	var clearId;
	clearId:= $.data(anElement, "intervalId");
	clearInterval(clearId);
}

But I'd probably want some kind of timeout in the first function so it
stops if the connection drops or something goes haywire.

Thanks for the heads up on the renderContentOn: method I posted.  I had
it in the email using replaceWith: and switched to load html: in an
attempt to simplify the problem illustration.

Paul