[Seaside] Re: Clear/stop a periodic javascript process using Seaside?

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 00:40:46 UTC 2011

Thanks for the replies and pointers.  I went ahead and made this jQuery
plugin:

http://plugins.jquery.com/project/Registered-Interval

and then added it to the jQuery Widget Box on squeaksource.com.  It
stores the interval ID in the .data() function of a DOM element and then
retrieves from the DOM element when you want to clear the interval.

In the example I uploaded to SqueakSource there are three counters that
update independently of each other at different speeds using
setInterval.  Each can be started and stopped independently.  It does
what I want for now.

I wanted to have this as I'm using Futures for some stuff and need to
poll for results from multiple tabs on the same page and didn't want to
do a full page refresh when each tab had results.  It seems to work for
that purpose. I need to poll for results rather than let the Futures
block because I want to port what I've done to Gemstone and Dale's
recommendation was to poll for results rather than block.

I think the javascript code could be made more reliable and from what
I've read it'd be a better idea to use setTimeout recursively rather
than setInterval but I haven't gotten my head around that yet.

Thanks again

Paul