[Seaside] Why - XHTML perfectly good names are now given en Seaside new names

Tony Fleig tony.fleig at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 06:21:33 UTC 2011

I am in a similar position, having programmed raw HTML since the early days
of Mosaic and  now using Seaside. I have used a number of frameworks over
the years for web and other things. There is always something to learn and
it usually takes some getting used to and experience with the framework
before the benefits of whatever the something is become apparent.

I too was initially annoyed by Seaside's XHTML "sub-language", but after
getting used to it I can now say that I very much prefer creating XHTML
pages with Seaside than "by hand." There are many reasons in addition to the
element naming for this, but the element naming is part of it.

Having said that, I think the auto-compete in Pharo/Seaside, while useful,
is not nearly as useful as that in, say, Microsoft's Visual Studio. Yes, I
know I am free to improve it myself, but I actually am interested in
building web apps at the moment, not Pharo developer tools.

For comparison, Illiad uses #a where Seaside uses #anchor, and #p where
Seaside uses #paragraph, etc. I have build a couple of Illiad apps, and I
find the Seaside code I produced easier to interpret when perusing it later
than the Illiad code I produced.

Regards,
TF