[Seaside] RE: Seaside 3.0 in Visual Works 7.7.1

Ivan, Liliana Liliana.Ivan at rmb.co.za
Tue Feb 22 11:07:21 UTC 2011

-- resend in text only
From: Ivan, Liliana
Sent: 22 February 2011 09:36
To: 'seaside at lists.squeakfoundation.org'
Cc: 'Smalltalk Support'
Subject: Seaside 3.0 in Visual Works 7.7.1

Hi

The package Grease-Namespace that is loaded by Seaside-All 3.0-7
turns on IEEE floating point arithmetics:

Parcel: #('Grease-Namespace')
PrintStringCache: (3.0 - 3,mlucas-smith)
Version: 3.0 - 3
Post-Load Block:
                [:package | ObjectMemory registerObject: true withEngineFor: 'IEEEFloatingPointPrimitives']

We are in the process of upgrading our app from VW 7.6 to 7.7.1 and we require division by 0 to raise an exception rather than returning INF.
We turned this back off by executing:

ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: 'IEEEFloatingPointPrimitives'

The web site passes all our unit and selenium tests; so we'll leave it turned off - I just wanted to ask :
1. why was it enabled - which parts of seaside require it
2. how/when can it affect us if it's turned off

Thanks

LILIANA IVAN

Business Technology
Enterprise Applications

Rand Merchant Bank
Telephone +27 112821960
Mobile +27 828476682

http://www.philotechnia.co.za

(Rand Merchant Bank, a division of FirstRand Bank Limited, is an Authorised Financial Services Provider)

This e-mail is subject to a disclaimer, available at http://www.rmb.co.za/web/elements.nsf/online/disclaimer-communications.html