[Seaside] Need help fixing my image

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Tue Jan 4 10:46:28 UTC 2011

Sebastian,

On 03.01.2011, at 20:56, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Norbert you are one of those guys that can stream objects on SIXX?
> I think I've heard about that (so it can scale Gigas or whatever) a while ago.
> Actually it sounds quite cool for dumping data

I use Sixx for moving my data back and forth between pharo and gemstone. The only problem I discovered regarding resources was the temporary object memory of gemstone. But there is a way to prevent this by commiting chunks of a string to the server. So this scales well.
My problems were always encoding and streams. But I changed Sixx to use grease for things like cr and lf. And strings are exported as type String with default encoding of utf-8. At least this is changed in gemstone. I wanted to synchronize the sources for gemstone and pharo but didn't find time so far.

Most of the rough edges of Sixx are IMHO smoothed. If it comes to scalability problems than it will be time to integrate some pull parser stuff into the scenario. Ken Treis did it once. And the xml parser is moving forward quite quickly. So if there is a more "standard" pull parser available it will definitely useful to incorporate Ken Treis' changes into Sixx. From then on the scalibility problems shouldn't be that big. I think here ReferenceStream and Sixx work similar by writing an object on first encounter which leads to an entry in a lookup table and every later appearance results in a reference. Fits perfectly fine into a pull parser scenario.

So I can't really state anything about scalibility because I would need to check first. But I don't see real problems in the approach only things missing.

Norbert