[Seaside] install Seaside30 without OB?

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed Jan 5 20:41:32 UTC 2011

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Dale Henrichs <dhenrich at vmware.com
> <mailto:dhenrich at vmware.com>> wrote:

...snip

>     It was decided over a long series of emails to create a 'Base' group
>     that was the absolute minimum usable chunk of Seaside.
>
>     The 'Core' group was then defined as everything else that came with
>     Seaside excluding the tests. Note that the core group includes all
>     of the development tools as well...
>

> Hi Dale. This is what is misleading for me. I mean, from my point of
> view, development tools are not core. Just watching it form outside, I
> may call 'core' to what you call now 'base' and try to find a better
> name for what it is now in 'Core'.

I understand.

We included the 'kitchen sink' in the 'Core' to just cut down on the
number of options ... in other words if you _don't know what you want_
then you get everything ... if you know what you want then you load the
'Base' group plus the other packages that you need ...

With regards to 'development tools', consider that many of the
Seaside-Development functionality is really useful to have installed in
a production image, so the distinction between development and
production is not as clear cut as you might think.

For example, the debugger-based error handlers are necessary to debug a
problem that is showing up in a production even though they are part of
a package called Seaside-Development.

Also, without the 'Seaside Control Panel' (which requires OB and started
this discussion)) it is more difficult to configure and control the
various adaptors that you will be using... unless you really know what
you are doing. So the 'Seaside Control Panel' is another one of those
tools that you'd want installed in a production image....unless you know
what you are doing

So in the end, I think that 'Core'/'default' should stay the way it is,
but perhaps the remaining packages could be grouped in such a way that
it is easier to pick and choose functionality to be loaded with the
'Base' group when you really know what you are doing ...

Dale