[Seaside] state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 14:22:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn at stonehenge.com>wrote:

> So I've had my head buried in Perl for the past six months, and lost
> track of where Seaside has gone.
>
> I know Seaside 3.0 is out. And Magritte/Pier have been updated (although
> the docs still look amazingly sparse :).  And there's something called
> SqueakDBX for talking to Postgresql.
>
> My client has restarted the project we began a year ago but had to set
> aside for economic reasons.  I need to build a Seaside app that talks to
> Postgresql, and runs on FreeBSD.  I'd prefer to use something like
> Glorp, but I'm not sure that's been updated in a while in the Squeak
> world, unless SqueakDBX did it.

No. The Glorp version for Squeak/Pharo is still several years old. However,
it has been updated at least to work in the latest Pharo (I guess squeak too
but I am not sure).

You can use Glorp directly and use the PostgreSQL native driver (where you
don't need the postgres client libraries), or you can use GlorpDBX with
SqueakDBX driver, where you need to install OpenDBX and the PostgreSQl
libraries.