[Seaside] JQueryWidgetBox configuration

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed Jul 20 16:54:14 UTC 2011

I am using a couple of the JQueryWidgetBox widgets for tODE and there are a couple of things about the configuration that I'd like to tweak.

I don't have developer access to the SqueakSource repository so I'll be saving my work over in http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Seaside30 in a branch of the ConfigurationOfJQueryWidgetBox (ConfigurationOfJQueryWidgetBox.cleanup-dkh.60 is the first installment if you want to take a peak at what I've done so far).

There are basically three things I want to tweak:

  1. Change the dependency on Seaside30 so that only the parts of Seaside that JQueryWidgetBox requires is loaded. As it currently stands, the whole Seaside30 code base is loaded...
  2. Fix the Metacello validation errors. There are 670 critical warnings in the current configuration and the vast majority of them are due to the fact that explicit package versions are not specified which means you can't predict which versions of a package will be loaded some are explicit and some are "load latest" ... which will cause problems for folks trying to use an older version of the configuration...
  3. Most of the versions in the configuration leverage the #import: feature of Metacello by only making incremental changes to the previous version. This technique works fairly well until one adds a new baseline version (like happened in version 1.5 and 2.0) and it becomes difficult figure out which versions of which packages need to be specified. The net result is that we end up with the missing package versions. Better tools will help, but the better tools aren't quite here yet, so I have come to think that using a monolithic baseline and a monolithic literal version is a better approach.

In ConfigurationOfJQueryWidgetBox.cleanup-dkh.60 I have cut the number of validation errors in half by editing some of the existing versions to specify explicit package versions.

To address items 1 and 3 I have added version 2.4 and 2.4-baseline.

I intend to address all of the validation issues and I am still working on getting version 2.4 to load correctly, but I thought this would be a good time to mention my plans on the list .... mainly because in order to fix the validation errors, I have to edit existing versions (some of which have beed released) which is not normally a good practice. But given the fact that the set of packages loaded by any one of the current versions will be affected by any new checkins, I figure it is better to fix the problems in one swell foop...

Sooo, if you want to validate my changes so far or think that what I am planning is a bad idea now is a good time to speak up...

Of course, if I am not given developer access to the repository, I won't be able to make any changes at all:)

Dale