[Seaside] Re: website maintenance/feedback

Sebastian Sastre sebastian at flowingconcept.com
Tue Mar 1 13:02:48 UTC 2011

adding some to the list (plus annotations):

- anthropomorphic approach. Very human-like way to program makes easier to install an interesting company culture
- "extreme short development and deployment cycles" <-- (often a week, depending on the feature a couple of days) this is extremely valuable to test business plans tweaks and getting more traction and social proof faster
- extremely productive & small teams <-- a 'pizza' team (a team you can feed using only one pizza) can run a whole startup.

"...
- small time-to-market;
- complex functionality;
- extreme short development and deployment cycles.

It is not optimal for startups having:
- extreme scalability or (real time) performance requirements;  <-- unacceptable (deal breaker)
- existing libraries already covering most needed functionality.
For those startups Seaside can be suitable for proof of concepts. <-- kind of nice but... (opportunity here if you fix the previous issue)"

Notes about scalability:
Investors will not tell you no, they will tell you that they will think about it. So, anything that isn't a hell yeah is a no. So we better have that point addressed in a smarter way.

Said so, I'd add:

1 dabbledb found a way to make it work for them, nothing is written in stone saying they had to be the only ones (and if so lets break that stone)
2 if twitter runs on ruby, arguably slower than smalltalk VM's, then I feel that the can't scale judgment focused on theory and details and assumptions too soon
3 the wrong architecture (one that allows points of contention) will make even assembler to have scalability problems (reinforcing point 2)

I feel we can think bigger guys, is just addressing one issue at the time

sebastian

o/