[Seaside] WAImageStatus uptime tracking

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 07:14:31 UTC 2011

2011/3/12 Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at beta9.be>:
> Hi,
>
> I am using WAImageStatus and friends to check the health of my deployed images.
>
> The uptime reported by WAImageStatus (a WAPharoStatusItem subclass) has been annoying me for some time: the value wraps around much too quickly, in the order of days it seems (and we all know Seaside/Smalltalk images keep running for much longer) (based on Time>>#millisecondClockValue, a primitive):
>
>        upTime := Duration milliseconds: Time millisecondClockValue.
>
> I made a simple helper class, WAUpTimeTracker, fileout attached, that I think would do a better job:
>
>        upTime := WAUpTimeTracker imageUpTime.
>
> The value is being set automatically at system startup.
>
> Is this something worth including ?

Well personally I think this should be fixed in Pharo. In addition my
impression is that start up classes introduce more problems than they
solve. However since you already attached a patch it would be rude to
turn it down. The code had two issues, it would not unload properly
and would also reset the uptime if you just saved the image. I fixed
those.

 [1] http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/detail?id=596

Cheers
Philippe