[Seaside] rack/wsgi/ring for smalltalk

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 04:39:30 UTC 2011

2011/3/29 Sean Allen <sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com>:

>>> WAServerAdaptor isn't really much like ring, rack et al.
>>
>> Yes and no. It has the same responsibility in the "Seaside stack" but
>> is "object oriented" and not "string/byte array oriented" and more
>> high level.
>>
>>> But it does put the thought into my mind that it would be interesting
>>> down the road to
>>> try and take the Seaside infrastructure and work something like rack into it.
>>

>> Well the "problem" is that "traditional" servers (Comanche, Swazoo,
>> OpenTalk) used to "object oriented" and fully featured web servers.
>> Since building something like that takes a lot of work more recent
>> servers (FastCGI, SCGI, AJP) are "string/byte array oriented". The
>> later ones are obviously easier to adapt to a ring/rack/wsgi style
>> interface.
>

> a bit of background from me could help here.
> i'm going to end up having redline smalltalk using either netty or jetty be
> the final target for my own personal use of this when i'm done
> so the 'string/byte oriented' is going to be important to me.

Awesome, personally I'd like to see a servlet api based approach
because that would allow us to support almost any Java server but do
whatever works best for you. Native servlet api session tracking is
probably be the hardest to implement but would offer some nice
benefits. You can run without that though.

Let me know should you need any help.

Cheers
Philippe