[Seaside] Re: Seaside application deployment/migration/update

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Wed May 4 06:26:20 UTC 2011

On 04 May 2011, at 02:10, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> well... I added a button on status app to "upgrade application X" and it upgrades a full metacello configuration :)

Indeed, you can go a long way using just the built in Seaside tools, loading packages, saving images, browsing, debugging, inspecting and changing code, almost like using a regular images, just a bit slower (and remote through a web browser). This is actually quite cool and powerful. Just make sure to set up at least password protection.

On the other hand, this really only works for single image deploys.

When you go to (stateful) load balancing with multiple images, the best strategy is to automatically build your own images. Then Smalltalk is a again much more similar to traditional environments, you just get your code from Monticello repositories. You will have to do a bit of shell scripting and a bit of unix voodoo.

Regards,

Sven