[Seaside] Page Load Time

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Fri May 13 22:21:35 UTC 2011

Runar,

On 14 May 2011, at 00:01, Runar Jordahl wrote:

> I run Pharo 1.2.1 and Seaside 3.0.3.1 on a powerful (8 GB Ram, SSD
> disk, Intel i5 661 CPU) Windows 7 64 bit box.
>
> Google’s page is minimalistic; a typical page uses a few seconds to
> load. Still, wouldn’t you expect the minimum load time to be far less
> than 1 second?
>
> I perfectly well understand that minimum load time does not say
> anything about the load time for a more complex page.

You are entering a complex terrain: web app benchmarking.
But I understand your angle: you are trying to establish whether Seaside is not too slow.
I once asked similar questions, but you have to explore on your own.
Optimizing a web app, especially Seaside, is not that easy.
Seaside is stateful, hard to cache and uses redirects a lot,
but it can be done.

But rest assured, Smalltalk is not slow. For the following pages:

	http://zn.stfx.eu

Google Chrome reports:

	2 requests  ❘  5.18KB transferred  ❘  53ms (onload: 58ms, DOMContentLoaded: 143ms)

You can read more about the setup here

	http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/index.html#livedemo

And this is on minimal hardware.

HTH,