[Seaside] Gettext (for use by Gettext-Seaside) ported to Gemstone

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Mon May 23 15:31:40 UTC 2011

Hi all,

The Gettext [1] implementation of Pharo has now been ported to Gemstone, such that we can use it for internationalization in web applications together with Gettext-Seaside.
More precisely, the Gettext package is a prerequisite for Gettext-Seaside.

With the "develop in Pharo, deploy in Gemstone" philosophy, I ported only those parts that are required to deploy the translation files in the Seaside web apps.
The implementation that generates translation files from the codebase is a bit more entrenched into platform-specific libraries. So, one has to generate the translation catalogs to disk in Pharo, edit them with a tool like poedit, and deploy the locale with the Gemstone deployment.

The Gettext-Gemstone package is available from http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/PharoCompat

cheers
Johan

[1] http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/Gettext