[Seaside] Increasing the performances of a Seaside application

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:42:53 UTC 2011

2011/5/26 Olivier Auverlot <olivier.auverlot at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> In the next weeks, I hope that I will start my first application with
> Seaside. The first version is ready. It's a set of REST web services. Now,
> I'm doing differents stress tests for evaluating the charge that my product
> can support.
>
> I'm using Pharo 1.2.1, Seaside, Seaside-REST, SqueakDBX, LDAPlayer and
> XML-Parser. For the connector, I use AJPPharoAdaptator for the link between
> my program and Apache.
>
> Have you ideas or good practices for optimising the performances of a
> Seaside application ?
>
> Of course, I can installing my application on differents servers and made
> load balancing but I think that the first thing that I must improve is the
> code himself.
>
> Working faster with a database and a LDAP are the first problems that I want
> resolve. Someone worked on the pools of connections ?

We once used a proprietary connection pool for PostgreS.

> What are the errors that I must avoid making ?

AFAIK SqueakDBX uses FFI which to my understanding means that it calls
block the entire VM. That reduces the amount of concurrency a single
image can handle. It also makes a connection pool more important.

> It's a large subject but it could be benefit to share experience in the
> search of performance.

Make sure you're measuring the right thing ;-)

Cheers
Philippe