[Seaside] Increasing the performances of a Seaside application

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat May 28 18:37:57 UTC 2011

> > What are the errors that I must avoid making ?
> AFAIK SqueakDBX uses FFI which to my understanding means that it calls
> block the entire VM. That reduces the amount of concurrency a single
> image can handle. It also makes a connection pool more important.
Yes, FFI blocks the whole VM while a functions is being called. However, if
and only if the database client library supports asynchronous queries,
SqueakDBX will work asynchronously. Basically, we do a loop where we ask the
backend if the query was ready. If it was not, we do a yield (we let other
process of the image to run) and then continue the loop.

Eliot implemented a multi-threaded FFI for Cog but so far I am not sure if
it is already working.