SIXX sixxIgnorableInstVarNames [WAS] Re: [Seaside] ESUG SummerTalk - Fuel, binary object serializer

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sun May 29 13:28:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Runar Jordahl <runar.jordahl at gmail.com>wrote:

> Interesting project. There are so many uses for object serializers.
> Personally I am looking at storing objects in NoSQL databases, and
> serializing them is an option that will work in a lot of cases. Using
> a serializer for copying objects is also useful.
>
> Does Fuel support “cutting off” instance variables, like SIXX’s
> Object>>sixxIgnorableInstVarNames ?

Runar, could you please tell us how that is done?
how such method looks like?

MyClass >> sixxIgnorableInstVarNames
^ #('age' 'blah')

?

Second, what happens are serialization time? SIXX puts a nil ? and at
materialization? when the object is created from the XML you get a nil in
those instVars ?

And of course, you implement

Objet >> sixxIgnorableInstVarNames
^ ()

?

Yes I know....I can take the code and look by myself...but not time now :(

Thanks

Mariano

I always thought SIXX
> (http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/sixx/index.html ) was
> state-of-the-art in this field. It seems to have many features, and it
> is supported on many dialects.  Are your ideas so great that it really
> makes sense to create yet another serializer? Wouldn’t improving SIXX
> be better?
>
> Runar

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com