[Seaside] Re: video showing how to develop a simple app in JQueryMobile

Nick Ager nick.ager at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 13:27:10 UTC 2011

Hi Yanni,

Thanks for the feedback and watching the video through to the end.

> Yes, it showed me that JQuery/Javascript development is tedious, not just
> for me.

Whoops that wasn't the message I was hoping to get across, rather I was
hoping that Seaside developers would see how easy it is to develop a
JQueryMobile application....

At first, the real time typing/thinking felt slow, but later I thought it
> was worthwhile to see how others actually accomplish the coding task (which
> you cannot see in a text tutorial).

Thanks - that was what I was hoping to get across. If I create future
videos I'll focus a little more on the application under development rather
than the process of developing I think and in process reduce the length of
the video - (though it will take more preparation, or editing ;-) )

> I had started on a HelloWorld template, just to avoid the same head
> smacking moment when you realize you forgot to include the JQuery
> libraries. (Aside - adding the JQueryMobile library automatically brings in
> the JQuery library, as noted in the video. When I had JQuery included
> twice, once on it's own, and again through JQueryMobile, I had a weird
> bold/shadow on everything).
>
> There were a few times when I thought you could have pushed the "New
> Session" button on the Seaside toolbar, instead of editing the URL. But
> with JQueryMobile, the Seaside toolbar is not available, so I realized it
> might be a better approach, given muscle memory. BTW, is there a technical
> reason why the Seaside toolbar is not available.

That's a good point about the "New Session" button. I've not got into the
habit of using it. I removed the toolbar in JQMAdmin
register:asApplicationAt: as really doesn't work on a mobile device when
the page contains scrolling content.

> Lastly, I learned about the JQM decorations that are available.

Great. Strangely for web apps I haven't found much use of decorations, but
for JQMobile apps decorations seem a good fit, as does Seaside.

> Great work!

Thanks

Nick