[Seaside] Serving HTTPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Wed Nov 16 18:35:12 UTC 2011

On 15 Nov 2011, at 19:55, recursive68 at gmail.com wrote:

> Will this work with Pharo & Cog ?

On 15 Nov 2011, at 20:45, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> yes, thanks! Does it work on Windows too?

Although SqueakSSL is usable today, it is not enough.

The plugin implementation (C code) is incomplete with respect to certificate management and error handling. It might also need some general debugging. Doing this on all 3 platforms is a huge challenge. I don't want to be negative: I really respect what has been done so far. We need more people helping out.

The SecureSocketStream implementation (Smalltalk code) is difficult to port to Pharo.

That is why there is Zodiac (http://zdc.stfx.eu). It reuses the current plugin, but uses much cleaner code. And it works well on Pharo.

There is no HTTPS server functionality yet (it should be supported theoretically, I just haven't got around writing it).

I think the server side is less important: an Apache HTTPS proxy is a better (stronger/safer/faster) solution.

Sven